Friday, April 11, 2008

Hollywood Ending

One day I was at home on my computer.

This was in 2002 or 2003. I was at the Apple Quick Time Movie Trailers website. I really don’t watch movies often, but I was bored. I figured I would check to see if there was anything interesting I might like to rent at the video store one day.

I came across a trailer that looked promising. It was a war movie and those are usually pretty good. The movie was Windtalkers, starring Nicolas Cage. When I watched the trailer I recognized his costar instantly. It was Adam from high school. The same guy I laughed at when he told me he was going to be a big Hollywood movie star.

It was inspiring to see that. Winnipeg can be a pretty depressing city at times. It is the murder capital of Canada. It is the car theft capital of Canada. The poorest federal riding in the Country is Winnipeg Center, which is where we lived and went to high school.

For every Adam that makes it big here, there are many more that throw up their hands and don’t even try. All you have to do is walk down Main St. from City hall, head north past Higgins Avenue, continue past the underpass, keep going past the Bell hotel and The Northern and look. This city is full of people who think their salvation can only come from the welfare office, or a social worker or a lottery ticket. Too many people here find their comfort from a rag soaked in paint thinner, tucked up under their sleeve. And any one of those people could have been him.

In the end it was not a handout or a social program that bred his success story. It was the old cliché, hard work and perseverance, exploiting the opportunities that present themselves.

It was nice to see that Adam got the last laugh.

Not only that, but he must have known what he was talking about when he told me Neve Campbell was an American actor and I could not possibly know her.